We’re thrilled to share that the electric car charging stations are officially installed in the 2M Street resident garage! We’re all about living a thoughtful, eco-friendly lifestyle and want to enable our hybrid car-driving residents to easily recharge at the end of the day.
So as you can imagine, when we first heard about Green Tomato Cars, we knew that we would soon be fast friends. Acclaimed as the green alternative to taxi and Uber services, this fleet of hybrid Toyota Prius V’s has found its way to DC from across the pond. Launched in March of 2006 with just 4 cars in West London, the company has now grown to a multinational service for the eco-conscious masses.
If you’re wondering what makes this company so different from other car services, there are a few key aspects that really set them apart. The core value that perked our ears is the fact that their entire fleet is made up of eco-friendly hybrid cars. The Toyota Prius V is an advanced hybrid vehicle that switches between a gas engine and an electric motor depending on the driving conditions. In addition to the Prius, Green Tomato will soon be adding a brand new Tesla model to their fleet. This means you’ll enjoy a quiet, comfortable ride while reflecting on how much Mother Nature must love you right now. When you’re done daydreaming, you can enjoy the free wifi onboard every vehicle.
Need more to feel good about? Green Tomato goes beyond reducing emissions to support other issues that plague our planet. One initiative to note is their “We Love Polar Bears” campaign, which involved “adopting” polar bears, one major victim of climate change, to incentivize use of their mobile app. Another program celebrates the birth of Green Tomato customer offspring. Whenever one of their vehicles drives an expectant mother to the hospital to give birth, a tree is planted in their honor (all they ask is that you share your good news and the little one’s name). Green Tomato is also a supporter of the UK’s Macmillan Cancer Research Center, but they aren’t content to stop there and are actively pursuing suggestions for how they can become more involved here in DC.
Now you know we love our friends at Uber, but have you ever perfectly timed your trip to the airport or an important event across town, only to find out that there are suddenly no cars in the vicinity? Green Tomato understands that time is money, and there are a couple of ways that they pass that value along to their customers. For one, use of their mobile app allows customers to book trips in advance, eliminating the guessing game. As we know, life isn’t always predictable, so the company puts the money where their mouth is by reimbursing account customers 50 cents for every minute their driver is late.
So now that you’re crushing hard on Green Tomato, go ahead and download their app here. But hold on, are you ready for the cherry (tomato) on top? We’ve got the inside scoop on a fantastic deal that offers rides from anywhere in DC to Dulles International Airport for only $60 or to Baltimore International Airport for only $69. You can read more about the offer here.
The 2M apartment community cares about our planet and our neighborhood, so we built 2M from the ground up following Green Building Act Certification Standards. From the use of energy efficient appliances to the harvesting of rainwater, we are working to create a healthier, less wasteful home for our residents. In addition to providing a green living environment, we strive to empower our residents to make green choices in their day-to-day lives. With some simple tips and thoughtful products, we’re happy to show you that being green can be easy!
Moving into a new apartment is an inevitable and exciting reality of living in a city. Most of us have gone through the painful experience of paying a ton for cardboard boxes, enduring a stressful move, then trying to figure out what to do with the boxes when all is said and done. Repax was created to help people move by providing a quicker, cleaner and cheaper alternative to cardboard boxes. Using plastic bins that hold up to 30% more than typical moving boxes, Repax will deliver right to your door, then pick the boxes up when you’re all unpacked at your new place. In addition to being larger, these sturdy boxes can handle your heavy items without the risk of a cardboard blowout. Repax estimates that a 2 bedroom move using their products is equivalent to saving 2 trees and 105 cardboard boxes from the landfill!
Green Living Tips
Once you get settled into your new pad, you’ll need some tips to keep that green glow going. Here are a few to get you started:
1) When running a load of laundry, use the cold water option. Your clothes will last longer and save major water-heating energy.
2) Consider picking up a drying rack or using a clothes line to cut back on the energy used to dry your clothes.
3) Cut out the chemicals and begin cleaning and disinfecting with white vinegar and hot water. Add some baking soda to unclog a drain or give the shower a gentle scrubbing.
4) Ditch the plastic water bottles and start using a Brita water filter. Better yet, invest in a water dispenser and have hot and cold water at your fingertips whenever you want it (just remember unplug when you’re not home to conserve energy). Step the eco-friendly power up a notch with Mountain Valley Spring Water, which is delivered in glass containers.
5) Literally green up your space by bringing home some low maintenance plants such as english ivy, peace lilies or mums to help detoxify the air.
6) Plant a balcony garden to control the produce you consume and cut down on transportation and manufacturing costs at the same time.
7) Before bed, take the time to unplug items that are not in use, such as cellphone and computer chargers, and turn off lights, laptops and cable boxes. Once a week, evaluate all outlets; if something hasn’t been used in a week, it should stay unplugged until the next time it’s needed.
8) Pay your bills and your rent online and opt out of credit offers, reducing paper waste and eliminating that nagging stack of mail on your counter.
9) Take a break from your Netflix binge-watching marathon and check out one of the many inspiring documentaries they offer. A few of our favorites are: Food, Inc., Garbage Warrior, Who Killed the Electric Car, Tapped, and Garbage Warrior.
10) Before buying any new furnishings, check out Craigslist or Freecycle for some great finds. For some great up-cycling inspiration, check out the before and after series from Apartment Therapy, offering tips and tutorials for giving your tired furniture a serious makeover.