Enjoy the last days of Summer with a tasty drink on the 2M rooftop
With less than a month remaining in the Summer season, it’s important that we take full advantage of each warm day we have left at 2M Apartments. For our residents, this means heading up to our rooftop as much as possible for incredible views and even better vibes! While you’re up top, add to the experience by enjoying a nice refreshing end of summer drink.
Below is a list of some of our favorite end of Summer drinks you can make right in your apartment home.
Assemble one, and let us know how you like it!
Watermelon Lemonade Slushie
2 pounds cubed watermelon (4 cups)
½ Cup Sugar
1 large bunch basil, stems and leaves roughly chopped (about 2 cups), plus 4 whole leaves for garnish
Juice of 3 lemons (about ½ cup)
1. Place the watermelon in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and freeze until completely frozen, like ice cubes, about 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, cook the sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is completely melted, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the chopped basil and stir until completely wilted. Cool completely at room temperature, at least 1 hour.
3. When the watermelon is completely frozen, put half in a blender. Strain the basil syrup into the blender, use the back of a wooden spoon or spatula to press down on the basil to extract as much flavor as possible, and discard the basil. Add the lemon juice, and blend until the mixture is mostly smooth, pushing it down with a wooden spoon or spatula if needed. Add the remaining watermelon, and continue to blend until the mixture is completely smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture into 4 short glasses (or wine glasses, if you want to be fancy), and garnish each with a basil leaf.
One 750-milliliter bottle of fruity red wine
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur, such as Triple Sec
1/4 cup superfine sugar
One 10-ounce bag frozen mixed berries (about 2 1/2 cups)
1. Fill 2 ice cube trays with the red wine and freeze until solid, at least 6 hours and preferably overnight.
2. Combine the brandy, orange liqueur, and sugar in a small container with a lid. Refrigerate until ready to make the sangria.
3. Combine the frozen berries, red wine ice cubes and chilled brandy mixture in a blender. Blend on high until combined, thick and slushy. Pour into a pitcher and serve.
Cucumber Pineapple Tequila Cooler
1 cup fresh pineapple cubes
2 limes, skin removed
1 seedless European cucumber, peeled, plus cucumber slices for garnish
4 ounces silver (Blanco) tequila
1 1/2 cups ice cubes, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon agave nectar
Pinch kosher salt
1. Prepare a vegetable juicer (or blender if unavailable). Run the pineapple, limes and cucumber through the juicer, letting all the juices combine.
2. Pour the tequila into a cocktail shaker or pitcher, and then add the juices, ice, agave and salt. Shake or stir vigorously until chilled.
3. Line up 4 tall Tom Collins glasses filled with ice, and pour the tequila cooler over. Serve with straws and cucumber slices for garnish.
6 ounces light rum
12 mint sprigs, or spearmint, 8 roughly broken apart
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 tablespoons sugar
4 slices lime
1. Place ice in beverage shaker then add in the rum, 8 broken up mint sprigs, lime juice, and sugar. Shake well and serve over ice in a high ball glass. Top off each glass with a splash of club soda.
2. Garnish each with a slice of lime and a sprig of mint.
Long Island Ice Tea
2 cups of ice cubes
1-ounce white rum
1-ounce white tequila
1/2 ounce Triple Sec
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup cola, or to taste
2 lemon wedges
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour the vodka, gin, rum, tequila, Triple Sec, and lemon juice into the shaker.
2. Cover and shake vigorously to combine and chill.
3. Pour the mixture, ice and all, into 2 glasses or beer mugs and top off with the cola. Garnish with lemon wedges. Serve.
Yes, sadly, Summer is coming to close. As an Avec resident, you have the opportunity to end the season the right way!
2M is the perfect place to obtain all of your new year aspirations.
The New Year is here, which means it is time for a fresh set of goals, otherwise known as, “New Year Resolutions”. The challenge with the new year is finding the time and motivation to move down that checklist.
To help you out with the time and convenience piece, we have curated a list of 5 New Year Resolutions you can accomplish right from the comfort of your own apartment community.
The number one New Year Resolution on everyone’s list is fitness. What separates 2M residents from the rest of the pack is that you have access to a free, fully equipped, fitness center right below your feet! Any fitness goal you’re hoping to reach this year is attainable with an endless list of fitness equipment including, two Peloton bikes, yoga mats, multiple thread mills, dumbbells, squat machines, and more!
Take your fitness goals seriously this New Year inside of our 2M fitness center.
And when you’re not working out, you can work on your jump-shot on our basketball court located right beneath the fitness center.
2) BE MORE SOCIAL
The year tends to move very quickly. If you’re working for a living like everyone else, it’s easy to lose track of your social life. Don’t let that become you in 2020; at 2M, we have multiple areas in the building that are perfect for hosting an event or two. These include our Skyline rooftop lounge area, resident clubroom, television room, and a few outdoor spaces. It’s as easy as going to the front desk to reserve your date and time.
So, throw that viewing party, Super Bowl Party, Paint and Sip, or whatever else you have in mind to take your social life up a notch in the new year.
3) ENJOY THE OUTDOORS
If one of your New Year Resolutions is to get out more, we have the perfect amenity spaces for that too! If you’re not enjoying the ideal weekend over-looking the beauty of DC on our rooftop this Spring and Summer, then you’re doing something wrong!
If you’re looking for more of a quiet outdoor space, our courtyard area is a prime location for an excellent book while enjoying your favorite drink. Remember that enjoying the outdoors doesn’t have to mean hiking or running, sometimes it’s merely getting outside of your four walls.
The most consistent theme with a new year is trying new things. Things you would have never thought of trying before. At 2M, we host an experience that a lot of people are curious about, but have never experienced. This experience is yoga. If you are looking to expand your boundaries this year and focus on self-growth, we challenge you to try one of our weekly yoga classes offered on the 2M basketball court.
Be the person who is open to new things and actually takes the step to make new things a reality, instead of the one who always wondered.
5) SWIM MORE
Even though we are in January, the warm season is not as far you think. Sooner than later, the 2M pool will be open, and the months from there will blink by until it’s closed again. Remember last year when you said you want to get into the water more next year? That year is this one.
Find some time to enjoy a sweet dip from the comfort of your apartment community on our rooftop pool this year.
The Summer season is in full swing, and off to an amazing start. Now we welcome July. Along with the rising temperatures, it’s time to take your current apartment experience up to the next level, and truly tap into one of the biggest reasons you decided to live at 2M… The rooftop! The views are stunning, the amenities are plentiful, and the overall vibe is unlike any other. All the elements you need to have a winning rooftop season is right at your fingertips at 2M.
Here are some quick rooftop tips to help maximize your rooftop experience at 2M.
Reserve the fun ahead of time
While the pool is not available to reserve for private parties, the Skyline Café is the perfect location to book your next Summer event. The Café has an extended kitchen area ideal for any of your catering orders. It is also adjacent to a lounge area with a cozy fireplace and television.
Apart from enjoying the Summer is being able to take a weekend to enjoy the closeness of your family and friends. What better place to do it than your magnificent rooftop. Take control of the experience and eliminate the worry of wondering if a certain area is going to be available for a particular weekend.
Reserve your location today!
Experience the rooftop at night
(Don’t forget the rooftop is open until 12 AM)
There’s nothing wrong with some fun in the sun, but having access to the rooftop after the sun goes down opens up an entirely new night experience. Enjoy a nice relaxing summer evening on the rooftop of while you look over the bright lights of DC. You could also enjoy a nice night swim while being next to the grilling station for easy accessibility for an evening bite to eat.
Perfect for an outdoor workout
You don’t have to wait for the next rooftop fitness class to happen in order to have an amazing workout up-top. The rooftop is always a great change of pace from your typical workout in the gym. It’s something about being outside that adds a different level to your fitness experience. Get up before work, and grab an early morning workout as you watch the sunrise. Or unwind after work with an evening session as the sun starts to go down. Either way, we’re proud to be able to truly offer an elevated overall fitness experience on the 2M rooftop.
Your rooftop season deserves to be celebrated correctly. Take advantage of these 2M rooftop tips, and open up your Summer possibilities.
A Green Community
Did you know: 2M will take special care to collect and harvest the first half-inch of each rainfall in two cisterns. Instead of flowing into the District’s storm water system, approximately 750,000 gallons of water will be captured each year and reused for irrigation and cooling tower makeup water. With the help of these cisterns, 2M Apartments will reduce our cooling tower and make up irrigation water consumption by up to 74%!
A Green Community
Did you know: 2M apartments rooftop will be home to 182 solar panels. Harnessing the sun’s energy, this 46kW photovoltaic system will serve to offset energy use and costs throughout the building.