Enjoy the last days of Summer with a tasty drink on the 2M rooftop
With less than a month remaining in the Summer season, it’s important that we take full advantage of each warm day we have left at 2M Apartments. For our residents, this means heading up to our rooftop as much as possible for incredible views and even better vibes! While you’re up top, add to the experience by enjoying a nice refreshing end of summer drink.
Below is a list of some of our favorite end of Summer drinks you can make right in your apartment home.
Assemble one, and let us know how you like it!
Watermelon Lemonade Slushie
2 pounds cubed watermelon (4 cups)
½ Cup Sugar
1 large bunch basil, stems and leaves roughly chopped (about 2 cups), plus 4 whole leaves for garnish
Juice of 3 lemons (about ½ cup)
1. Place the watermelon in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and freeze until completely frozen, like ice cubes, about 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, cook the sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is completely melted, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the chopped basil and stir until completely wilted. Cool completely at room temperature, at least 1 hour.
3. When the watermelon is completely frozen, put half in a blender. Strain the basil syrup into the blender, use the back of a wooden spoon or spatula to press down on the basil to extract as much flavor as possible, and discard the basil. Add the lemon juice, and blend until the mixture is mostly smooth, pushing it down with a wooden spoon or spatula if needed. Add the remaining watermelon, and continue to blend until the mixture is completely smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture into 4 short glasses (or wine glasses, if you want to be fancy), and garnish each with a basil leaf.
One 750-milliliter bottle of fruity red wine
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur, such as Triple Sec
1/4 cup superfine sugar
One 10-ounce bag frozen mixed berries (about 2 1/2 cups)
1. Fill 2 ice cube trays with the red wine and freeze until solid, at least 6 hours and preferably overnight.
2. Combine the brandy, orange liqueur, and sugar in a small container with a lid. Refrigerate until ready to make the sangria.
3. Combine the frozen berries, red wine ice cubes and chilled brandy mixture in a blender. Blend on high until combined, thick and slushy. Pour into a pitcher and serve.
Cucumber Pineapple Tequila Cooler
1 cup fresh pineapple cubes
2 limes, skin removed
1 seedless European cucumber, peeled, plus cucumber slices for garnish
4 ounces silver (Blanco) tequila
1 1/2 cups ice cubes, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon agave nectar
Pinch kosher salt
1. Prepare a vegetable juicer (or blender if unavailable). Run the pineapple, limes and cucumber through the juicer, letting all the juices combine.
2. Pour the tequila into a cocktail shaker or pitcher, and then add the juices, ice, agave and salt. Shake or stir vigorously until chilled.
3. Line up 4 tall Tom Collins glasses filled with ice, and pour the tequila cooler over. Serve with straws and cucumber slices for garnish.
6 ounces light rum
12 mint sprigs, or spearmint, 8 roughly broken apart
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 tablespoons sugar
4 slices lime
1. Place ice in beverage shaker then add in the rum, 8 broken up mint sprigs, lime juice, and sugar. Shake well and serve over ice in a high ball glass. Top off each glass with a splash of club soda.
2. Garnish each with a slice of lime and a sprig of mint.
Long Island Ice Tea
2 cups of ice cubes
1-ounce white rum
1-ounce white tequila
1/2 ounce Triple Sec
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup cola, or to taste
2 lemon wedges
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour the vodka, gin, rum, tequila, Triple Sec, and lemon juice into the shaker.
2. Cover and shake vigorously to combine and chill.
3. Pour the mixture, ice and all, into 2 glasses or beer mugs and top off with the cola. Garnish with lemon wedges. Serve.
Yes, sadly, Summer is coming to close. As an Avec resident, you have the opportunity to end the season the right way!
We are happy to welcome 2M residents back to the rooftop pool.
The 2M rooftop pool is back just in time for the Summer season! To ensure residents are enjoying the pool re-open in the safest way possible, we have some important guidelines in place.
Please review the following guidelines carefully:
IMPORTANT POOL GUIDELINES:
- The 2M rooftop pool will be open Monday-Sunday from 10 AM – 7 PM
- The rooftop remains open until 9 pm, but ask that you start to exit the pool area before 7 pm to allow proper cleaning.
- Do not use the pool if you are sick, have tested positive for COVID-19, or were exposed to someone who tested positive.
- Remember to wash your hands and person before entering the pool area.
- We are required to allow no more than 30 residents around the pool at the same time and only 9 residents to be in the pool at once.
- The max amount of time for each person will be 2 hours per day.
DC will be performing inspections from time to time and so, please help us in allowing the pool to remain open for the summer by following these restrictions:
While at the pool, on the rooftop and in the restrooms, you must practice social distancing of 6 feet or more and must wear a face mask at all times except for when you are in the pool itself. You will notice we had to arrange the chairs so there is separation on the pool deck.
Please wipe down the lounge chair, if you choose to use one, after you finish and please do not share food, toys, grills, drinks, goggles, towels, etc. or engage in physical contact with those outside of your household while at the pool or on the roof.
HOW TO RESERVE THE ROOFTOP POOL:
The Summer season is in full swing, and off to an amazing start. Now we welcome July. Along with the rising temperatures, it’s time to take your current apartment experience up to the next level, and truly tap into one of the biggest reasons you decided to live at 2M… The rooftop! The views are stunning, the amenities are plentiful, and the overall vibe is unlike any other. All the elements you need to have a winning rooftop season is right at your fingertips at 2M.
Here are some quick rooftop tips to help maximize your rooftop experience at 2M.
Reserve the fun ahead of time
While the pool is not available to reserve for private parties, the Skyline Café is the perfect location to book your next Summer event. The Café has an extended kitchen area ideal for any of your catering orders. It is also adjacent to a lounge area with a cozy fireplace and television.
Apart from enjoying the Summer is being able to take a weekend to enjoy the closeness of your family and friends. What better place to do it than your magnificent rooftop. Take control of the experience and eliminate the worry of wondering if a certain area is going to be available for a particular weekend.
Reserve your location today!
Experience the rooftop at night
(Don’t forget the rooftop is open until 12 AM)
There’s nothing wrong with some fun in the sun, but having access to the rooftop after the sun goes down opens up an entirely new night experience. Enjoy a nice relaxing summer evening on the rooftop of while you look over the bright lights of DC. You could also enjoy a nice night swim while being next to the grilling station for easy accessibility for an evening bite to eat.
Perfect for an outdoor workout
You don’t have to wait for the next rooftop fitness class to happen in order to have an amazing workout up-top. The rooftop is always a great change of pace from your typical workout in the gym. It’s something about being outside that adds a different level to your fitness experience. Get up before work, and grab an early morning workout as you watch the sunrise. Or unwind after work with an evening session as the sun starts to go down. Either way, we’re proud to be able to truly offer an elevated overall fitness experience on the 2M rooftop.
Your rooftop season deserves to be celebrated correctly. Take advantage of these 2M rooftop tips, and open up your Summer possibilities.